5 Foods that will make you happier
1. Spinach, kale, and other green leafy vegetables are foods that can give you a positive outlook on life. They are high in folic acid which helps the brain to create serotonin, a neurotransmitter close to being happy. Folate is a natural vitamin C. Kale is also rich in vitamin A and K.
Studies show that low folate and serotonin levels are linked with depression.
Spinach is easy to incorporate into your diet, use it in a salad, or on a sandwich and you can also eat it by itself. Spinach and onions complement each other so you can try cooking them together.
2. Brazil nuts are a great pick me up. They can help ward off depression, prevent heart disease, and certain types of cancer. They contain selenium which helps affect our mood and plays a role in our mental health.
Our body and minds need selenium but too much of it can be toxic to your health. Since Brazil nuts have more selenium in them than any other food you should maintain eating a small portion of them.
They have a similar taste to almonds and can be added to salads.
3. Turkey is not just for eating at thanksgiving you can eat it to help your mood. It contains phenylalanine, which is one of the amino acids that our brain uses to create dopamine, a neurotransmitter that activates many of the minds pleasure centers.
Dopamine can help to increase your mood almost instantly. Phenylalanine is so powerful that research has found it is effective in prescription drugs combating depression.
You can have turkey any time with any meal and add it to your salads, or have it in a sandwich.
4. Fish is low in calories and saturated fats (oils), it can also help give you mood a pick me up. Mackerel, salmon, trout, tuna, and eel are considered oily fish; they live near the surface of the water. It contains omega-3 acids which help with brain function and have many mood boosting benefits.
A study has found that daily doses of omega-3 fatty acids in fish were effective at reducing depression symptoms, sadness, lack of motivation, and a host of other things. Some fish do have pollutants in them such as mercury that is harmful to unborn children.
You can add fish to your favorite dish or eat it with a salad.
5. Chocolate contains fatty acids called cannabinoids which is also found in cannabis. These cannabinoids affect the parts of the brain responsible for memory and movement. It also has a natural stimulant called phenyl ethylamine, which is the same chemical that is released when you fall in love. Phenyl ethylamine is classified as a hallucinogen.
All these chemicals are in trace amounts. Next time you want to relax grab a piece of dark chocolate.
Remember everything in moderation.
Happy Eating ~
Don’t forget to share ~ Blessings
Copyright ©2013 Globallioness · All Rights Reserved